Want to start selling on Amazon? – you can either let Amazon sell & dispatch your product (FBA: Fulfilled by Amazon) or you can let Amazon sell your product and you dispatch to the customer (FBM: Fulfilled by Merchant)
The decision is based on profitability & the ease at which you chose to run your business.
Things sometimes seem to change in the Amazon world faster than we as sellers can keep up. Long-term storage fees are changing this year, the Amazon guidelines are updated from time to time, and sales rank changes multiple times throughout the day!
It’s hard at times to know whether Amazon is getting easier or harder.
We have been selling on Amazon for nearly 18months now and there are definitely do’s & don’t – it’s a hard & costly lesson to learn if you don’t keep up to date.
We are selling FBA as it’s easier for us (we don’t have to dispatch our product) however with Fee’s rising we may switch to FBM to keep our profit margin intact. 😵
If you’re totally new to selling online the first thing I suggest you do is join an “Amazon sellers group”
Get some support and a base to learn from. There are all different levels of experience in these groups so it’s easy to pick up hints/tips post questions without feeling like you are a total numpty.
The 2 groups that I’m part of is “Simple Products Profit” group & “The Amazing Sellers”. Google them and find out what is your best fit. Sometimes there are costs involved with joining expert groups, factor it in when you write your business plan.
There are some UK groups but most are USA based as they have the biggest market and for me the biggest knowledge base. There are some differences between the 2 countries when selling on Amazon but not enough to make you want to find a UK only group (in my opinion)
…and when you do join a group find a business buddy. Talk to like-minded people who are at the same level as you & preferably, in the same country. When you find your buddy set goals/intentions, this way it will help you stay on track and achieve them if you have someone holding you to account. It works – do it.
Is selling on Amazon more difficult today than a few years ago?
- increase in brands that are restricted,
- more categories gated and requiring approval,
- greater no. of FBA sellers to compete with,
- higher fees during Q4, (run up to Christmas)
- shorter times to sell inventory before long-term storage fees apply,
Let’s not dwell on the negative, there are people who have made small fortunes selling on Amazon. Your job is to find the right product, at the right price and the right audience to sell it to. Easy right?🤔
Finding the right product
There is a whole host of factors that go into finding the right product to sell – The 2 most important are:
- Find a product that you like/passionate about/ a hobby you can monetize? – have an affinity to the product that at some point is good enough to form the basis of a Brand. If your heart isn’t in it and all you want to do is sell, sell you will fail. It might not be in the first 6 months but it will fail.
- Is the product already selling on Amazon? – Amazon is a search engine like google. People search for the product they want and if you launch a product nobody knows exists how are they going to search for it? The key here is to put your own “spin” on it. Make the listing better, the features better. Basically, sell a better product than your competitor.
There are more, like steer clear of delicate/fragile/heavy/bulky products etc. The advice is endless but there are guidelines on all Amazon groups and they won’t say “don’t do it” but they will give you the reasons why. The decision is then yours.
We already had a product to sell the key to expanding our business/brand is to find related products to add to our portfolio.
So I’m done on this one.
What you have to do now is some research. Write a list of your passions/hobbies/look through magazines to see what inspires you.
Search for each item on Amazon/eBay/Etsy/Google – does it exist in some form?
Go plug yourself into an Amazon sellers group & get started.
and if you need coffee to keep you going (& awake – we also sell decaf 🤩) click here Crazy Cat Coffee We are with you all the way.
PS contact me if you need any help.
Other Blog Posts that might interest you: